Wednesday, September 24, 2008

We're going back...WAY back...

So, I've spent that last day and a half cleaning out my computer, deleting old files, backing up..blah, blah, blah...during that process, I caught a little glimpse of my photographic journey..and now, all of you lucky peeps..will catch a little as well.

I've been asked so many times..how it was that I became involved in photography...really, there's only one reason..my children. I've always been obsessed with taking photos of my kiddos..I didn't want to miss a thing, I wanted to capture every single moment of their childhood..so I took pictures..lots and lots of pictures...

I came across the website Two Peas in a Bucket looking for scrapbooking inspiration and somehow found my way over to the photography board. I spent..almost a year lurking on that board..trying to copy what I saw..never reading..or trying to learn..just looking and doing...eventually, I decided that I wanted my pictures to be better..to have that "WOW" factor..so I asked my husband for a new camera (at the time..I had a Sony point and shoot). He surprised me one day with a 30D and two lenses the 24-70L and the 70-200L..and that's where it began...full blown obsession

I posted my first shots in manual on 2peas...2 years ago TODAY , you can see those here ..so hard to believe..I spent some time looking over my gallery there tonight (my 2peas gallery) ...it seems so long ago and at the same time..seems like only yesterday. I could definitely see my style emerge in those posts..and at one point..I just got it..it clicked and all came together..

I laughed a lot while looking at those posts as well..so funny..I thought those pictures rocked..thought that they were so fab..and now...well, not so much..

I thought it would be fun, to share with you some of those photos..the ones that I loved so..so I'm taking you back..way back..to my point and shoot, my blue skin, over sharpened eyes..my black backdrops and selective coloring..yes folks..it's all here..just for you...

Alright, the first shots are from my first digital camera..some type of Sony..not sure..anyway, they were saved at 72DPI..and kinda pixely..but you get the idea..

Raygan, in her first competitive cheer uniform, she was 5...





And Sayler..a little ballerina, at 4...



Now this, Christmas morning..I just LOVED this picture...LOVED! Look at those matching outfits..I was a bit obsessed with that back then..always matching..



Even the play clothes...matched...



And yes...one more time..matching! Loved this as well..had this one framed..



Now the next few, came during the days of me lurking on 2peas...I bought a piece of black felt, threw them in the garage..and thought I was in smokin' hot with these...was so proud! Funny stuff...



Yes, we did themed Halloween...again..a bit obsessed!



Piper...



And Adler..remember how big this was..baby on an arm..had this framed..loved...



Alright, this one just makes me laugh...a little selective color...awwww yeah! And look at those towels..glowing!



This is where the new camera and a copy of Photoshop Elements came into play..a little knowledge was dangerous folks...I thought, I had it figured out...

Ummm..can we say "blue"...and my first storyboard..with a colored stroke...FANCY! (L)


This shot..I thought was so good..I remember posting a series of these on 2peas..and thinking..these so rock..I still like it..but wow..skin tone and color..not good!




Ummmm..eyes? What the....



Now this one, made my heart melt..still does. My babe w/ her blankie..she loves it so, well not actually the blankie..could care less about that..it's the taggy she loves..and still..always has her taggy! I think this is one..I'll go back and reprocess..bc that b/w conversion..not working for me..




Laughing at this..this was my attempt at natural light high key..and the winter hat..both big fads at the time...nevermind that we live in Florida..and NEVER wear these hats..it was the "in" thing...and I was doing it..This was the beginning of trying everything out there..




The silhouette..



backlighintg...



creative cropping...



baby on a chair...



frame in a frame....and oh my, how clever I thought I was with this one..almost embarrassed to post it..it's SO bad.



This is from my first ever..go out, find a location and shoot...I took my girl out on New Year's Eve..2006..I think..I don't think this is terrible, the processing is flat..and needs some punch...my biggest question here is..what was I thinking..with those boots??




Looking thrilled here isn't she?...this is at the stage..where I think..I got it. Not perfect..but skin tones were coming along..color was looking pretty good..took this photo in February 2007..so about a year and half ago..


As I was looking through the files..it seems right about this time..Feb 2007, is when everything started to have some consistency, I found my style..my groove..and stuck with it..of course, still so much learning to do..and five years from now..will probably look back on my favorites now and just laugh..

Pulled out a few, from the past year of my kiddos that I just love...











It was amazing to see my journey..sitting here on my computer...file after file..memory after memory...and even though the early images are not technically great..I love them...they tell our story, of who we were then...and of what we've become...my hobby, that turned in to passion...captured it all, for them...my children..and really, for me..that's what it's all about...

30 comments:

Jennifer said...

I love watching the evolution of your photography. It gives me hope that as we keep trying we will keep finding the right way to capture our favorite moments. I was a total fan of yours back at 2peas. I was a total lurker because I was SO lost as a photographer.

Simply love your style. Your focus and color are stunning. I savor all your tips and advice because your work is incredible. Kudos to you.

Anne Pearson Photography said...

Amazing...only hope my journey follows a somewhat similar path. THank YoU so much for sharing!

lyndarene said...

That was great! Loved seeing the progress that has gotten you to the point of perfection in my opinion...I love your style!! Do you use CS3 now or do you still use elements? I need to decide if it is vital or if I can stay with elements. It seems most everyone is going the higher ground...I just hate getting comfortable with something and having to reteach myself all over again. Again, your photos are gorgeous!

michelled said...

That was awesome...and inspiring. I'd like to think that I'm somewhere in the middle of your journey. I have a 30D... didn't you switch to a 5D? If so, did that have a big impact on your pics? I'd love to get a good prime lens and would love any recommendations you would be willing to share.

It's amazing to me that you are self-taught. Some people went to school and still don't shoot as well as you.

Thanks again

sandi said...

and girlfriend, when you found your style, you really found it! whoo hoo! oh, sorry...i stalk your blog. am a huge fan of your beautiful pix! have a great day! --sandi in az

Debbi said...

Megan - I have been following your blog for several months now and decided to write after today's post. You give me hope! I feel that I am reading my own journey while reading this...only I haven't come as far as you at all! Your photos are very inspirational and keep me continuing to learn and grow as a photographer. I, too, feel that I'm at the half-way point of this journey and only in the last month feel that things are clicking for me. Your work is beautiful - thank you for the inspiration!

Amanda said...

Ha! Love your journey! Why did you post that santa pic...frame in a frame? We all need a good laugh. :)
So fun to look at all this

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh you have given me hope! The is still a chance for me LOL. Love that you shared this with all of us and love your photography.

Sheri said...

I hope you realize that you have serious talent! I lurk on a lot of photography blogs and you seriously are one of the best with kids and color. I can only wish one day to have talant like you. My kids hate to stay put for me very long. All I want is some good pictures!!

Kristin Mizo said...

That was great! Reminds me of myself. What the heck was wrong with us and the selective color? LOL!! So embarrassing now!

PS...how lucky are you to start off with such amazing glass...ummm...nice hubby!

Megan said...

Thanks guys...for all the fab-o comments..you're are certainly making my day a bit brighter!

Lyndarene..I do use CS3 now..I have Photoshop Elements 2 and learned that program for about a year..but eventually outgrew it. Honestly though, making the move to CS3 wasn't difficult and gave me so many more options..

MichelleD..yes, I do have the 5D now and as far a great prime..I love my 85L

Amanda..I just totally forgot..but I went back and popped it up..and WOW..it's even worse this morning!

Emily S. said...

Megan, so fun to see your "journey"! You are very approachable and un-prideful to let us in on your path to where you are now. Thanks for sharing! (And I totally have your updates on my Twitter, and you make me laugh. You're a koooooky gal!)

Oh, and one other thing: please don't be hatin' on too much of your past. they are all part of who you have become, and many of your so-called "duds" still have some power and charm to them. Don't go re-editing them all! (like all of us want to do with our circa 1996 scrapbooks!!)

Okay. I'm out. Sorry for the novel ;)

laura vegas said...

this is so cool megan .... love seeing it all put together and how you've grown as a photographer. i came across you on 2peas almost a year and a half ago ... and remember so many of these photos. and yes, this gives me hope for my own photography! i look through my photos the same way ... and see how much i've grown ... and yet, how much i still have to learn!

and the winter hat photo is too funny! mainly because sayler looks so adorable! but also because i too tried the whole winter hat thing with my girls ... everyone was doing it and i didn't want to feel left out. but heck ... we live in california ... we wear shorts year-round. lol!

Anonymous said...

I could have written this exact post. Well, at least the first 3/4's of it. Right up to the part of the blue color cast because I am struggling with that right now. It gives me hope that I still have a chance of having the last 1/4 of my story put me even in the ballpark of your talent. You are a true inspiration, and I'm glad to have come about your blog!

Anonymous said...

what I love most about photography is that there is always room to learn more.... and more... and more...

You've come a long way, your photography is outstanding!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing your inspiring story & you truly have gorgeous children

Robin said...

Very inspiring. You HAVE always rocked, and I love your style. I'm guilty for trying to copy your style, but I've never even come close.

Anonymous said...

That was such a treat to go through! It made my day . . . how deliciously FUN! Enjoy your journey! Your kids are so going to dig on this as they grow older!

My Dad has teased my Mom for years about the pictures she has taken of us kids (in our 40's now) and how almost every shot someone's head is cut off (and not just slightly either). They are not great -- but you know what? They are better than great! They are our memories. And, you have captured that for your kids and yourself!

We should all do this to see how far we've come in photography, as well as in life!

Lauriann said...

hi I'm a new lurker!
And wow what a fun photographic journey. I love your last ones. They show great progress in your creativity and camera talent.

thanks for sharing.

Jen said...

That was so fun. I can't believe you've only been doing this for 2 years. You are amazing! I think your old pictures were great too!

Mindy said...

That was so fun! I remember those old 2peas days well. You are an incredible photographer! Thanks for sharing your memories with us :)

Laurel E. Riffey said...

That was so AWESOME. Gave me hope... I, too, am following the same journey as you... hope I get better as the years go on! Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura said...

Aaaawww, I just loved looking at this post. I remember a lot of those pictures and smiled because it took me back to seeing your posts on 2Peas and always being inspired. And even though you have reasons for picking them apart some of the ones you mentioned are still my faves (backlighting, creative cropping). Thanks for sharing...You ROCK girl!

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic journey. You are so talented, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who is learning from you! I would love it if you would share more about your post processing technique. It is so much a part of your style. Thanks for sharing!

Jess said...

Yes I love seeing your journey and brave too! Maybe I will do the same because I have come along way too.

Angie said...

I hope that my journey in photography takes me to where you are. I too started looking at 2peas. I am a year in to learning my camera (canon 40D) and shoot in manual too, but still have so far to go. Any generous tips on how to get there are always gratefully welcomed. Love your talent. Take care.

Angie

Michelle C said...

That is so fun to see. YOu are fabulous. I love seeing your pics and you can tell when it "clicked" and boy did it!

Anonymous said...

Great post Megan. It's amazing how we evolve as photographers. We all can relate to this. :)

Lauren said...

thanks for sharing! your work is amazing. i was a fan of yours over at 2peas.

Brooke said...

truly enjoyed reading you rip your own pics apart..cause I do that with mine! I think most werent as bad as you seem to think haha. Im almost at my year mark and hope to grow as much as you did!....I think Im finding my groove....but its not perfect yet! anyways I love that curl shot its perfect and might have to steal that shot! it screams little girls blissful childhood